Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Village

We sat together on the couch in front of our new social worker for our homestudy.  I could smell the Pledge from the side table that I had dusted that day. 

"How do your family and friends feel about your adoption? Are they supportive?"

I remember feeling so eager to share an emphatic, "Yes!" and go on to explain that our families greeted our news of adopting with happiness and how our neighbors had thrown us a congratulations party. 

Supportive?  That girl from September sitting in her freshly cleaned house had not one inkling of an idea of what the word supportive truly meant. She was so naive. 

But she does now.

It's really hard for me to find the right words to describe how you've wrapped your arms around us.  Enveloped us with your love.  Overwhelmed us with your thoughtfulness. Your generosity.  But you have, and I am in awe.

They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I can say with no naivety that we have one helluvah village.  Seriously you guys, I don't get it.  Who am I to be so blessed to have you?  

You have come out of the wordwork to support us.  Family. Friends. Family friends. Friends of friends. Coworkers. Friends of coworkers. Neighbors. Blogreaders. Random strangers.  Acquaintances we haven't talked to in years.

All to share your gifts. Kind words. Anonymous cash donations. A card in the mail. A welcome home crowd at the airport. A huge adoption shower. A meal on our doorstep. An open invitation to your swimming pool.  A facebook message. Gift cards. A handmade heartfelt something. A swing set. A text that you're thinking of us. A care package full of goodies. A ride on Dadushka's shoulders for the 100th time while Nene cleans my kitchen. A car-full of goodies for our trip home. Something fun for our children. Hand-me-down clothing. More meals. A comment on our blog. A question and happy conversation with my mom at Walmart. An "I'm coming right over" when three seems a little too much. Invitations to play dates. Prayers, prayers, and more prayers. Requests for more kooky videos. A weekend visit when you've been extremely busy. More generous gifts for our children. Offers to help in any way you can. Preschool buddies.  Neighbor friends who play with us even though we don't speak the same language. An "I love you" and "I love your family".

I could go on and on and on. And it all means so so much to us. Thank you.  All of you. Thank you for loving us then and loving us now. Loving us through the crazy ride to build our family and watching us as we grow together.  Loving us more than I thought humanly possible.  You rock something fierce.   

How can our children not thrive when they have a village like you?





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That family picture rocks! Such sweetness and personality! God Bless!

Amber said...

Stella is sitting next to her Mama--that has to be a huge step! :) You all deserve the outpouring of love! We are so happy that you have found your family!!

Barb said...

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

prayers daily from this family of friends person :)

blissmamaof3 said...

How could they not thrive, indeed, I need to connect with you on Facebook, been really enjoying your posts, you Re doing a great job!!